Elemental Island
Welcome to Elemental Island! Please Log In or Register.
Elemental Island
Welcome to Elemental Island! Please Log In or Register.
Elemental Island
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elemental Island

Roleplay on a magical, mythical Island.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Gallery
The Duveen Gallery Empty
Latest topics
» Suicide Girls Uk Holiday Free Download
The Duveen Gallery I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 3:08 pm by dorekirst

» Mavis Dracula Xxx
The Duveen Gallery I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 4:45 am by dorekirst

» Trillian Astra Pro V4.2.0.20-TE
The Duveen Gallery I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 2:12 pm by dorekirst

» ITunesSetup
The Duveen Gallery I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 9:16 am by dorekirst

» ITunesSetup
The Duveen Gallery I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 2:40 am by dorekirst

» Avira Antivir Professional 10.0.0.1012
The Duveen Gallery I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 9:47 am by dorekirst

» After Effects Plugins
The Duveen Gallery I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 8:02 am by dorekirst

» After Effects Plugins
The Duveen Gallery I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 9:39 pm by dorekirst

» Adobe. Photoshop CS5.9 Extended Edition
The Duveen Gallery I_icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 7:12 pm by dorekirst

Top posters
chickengold92 (294)
The Duveen Gallery I_vote_lcapThe Duveen Gallery I_voting_barThe Duveen Gallery I_vote_rcap 
Lulkan (282)
The Duveen Gallery I_vote_lcapThe Duveen Gallery I_voting_barThe Duveen Gallery I_vote_rcap 
kosovohp (162)
dorekirst (157)
Falcon (128)
Skylark (106)
Wyvern (57)
Aenys Valeryo (40)
lunamoonfang (39)
moonlight172 (37)
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 42 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:19 am

The Duveen Gallery

Go down 
AuthorMessage
kosovohp
Tribe Hero

The Duveen Gallery Empty
PostSubject: The Duveen Gallery   The Duveen Gallery I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 12:16 am

The Duveen Gallery, sited to the west of the Egyptian, Greek & Assyrian sculpture galleries, was designed to house the Elgin Marbles by the American Beaux-Arts architect John Russell Pope. Although completed in 1938, it was hit by a bomb in 1940 and remained semi-derelict for 22 years, before reopening in 1962. Other areas damaged during World War II bombing included: in September 1940 two unexploded bombs hit the Edward VII galleries, the King's Library received a direct hit from a high explosive bomb, incendiaries fell on the dome of the Round Reading Room but did little damage; on the night of 10 to 11 May 1941 several incendiaries fell on the south west corner of the Museum, destroying the book stack and 150,000 books in the courtyard and the galleries around the top of the Great Staircase – this damage was not fully repaired until the early 1960s.[40]
The British Museum, Great Court

The Queen Elizabeth II Great Court is a covered square at the centre of the British Museum designed by the engineers Buro Happold and the architects Foster and Partners.[41] The Great Court opened in December 2000 and is the largest covered square in Europe. The roof is a glass and steel construction with 1,656 uniquely shaped panes of glass. At the centre of the Great Court is the Reading Room vacated by the British Library, its functions now moved to St Pancras. The Reading Room is open to any member of the public who wishes to read there.

Today, the British Museum has grown to become one of the largest Museums in the world, covering an area of over 75,000 m² of exhibition space, showcasing approximately 50,000 items from its collection.[42] There are nearly one hundred galleries open to the public, representing 2 miles (3.2 km) of exhibition space, although the less popular ones have restricted opening times. However, the lack of a large temporary exhibition space has led to the £100 million World Conservation and Exhibition Centre to provide one and to concentrate all the Museum's conservation facilities into one Conservation Centre. This project was announced in July 2007, with the architects Rogers Stirk Harbour and Partners. It was granted planning permission in December 2009 and is expected for completion by 2013

dressy pant suits for weddings
Faux fur Throw
Back to top Go down

The Duveen Gallery
Page 1 of 1