Elemental Island
Welcome to Elemental Island! Please Log In or Register.
Elemental Island
Welcome to Elemental Island! Please Log In or Register.
Elemental Island
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elemental Island

Roleplay on a magical, mythical Island.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Gallery
 Geomorphology Empty
Latest topics
» Suicide Girls Uk Holiday Free Download
 Geomorphology I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 3:08 pm by dorekirst

» Mavis Dracula Xxx
 Geomorphology I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 4:45 am by dorekirst

» Trillian Astra Pro V4.2.0.20-TE
 Geomorphology I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 2:12 pm by dorekirst

» ITunesSetup
 Geomorphology I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 9:16 am by dorekirst

» ITunesSetup
 Geomorphology I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 2:40 am by dorekirst

» Avira Antivir Professional 10.0.0.1012
 Geomorphology I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 9:47 am by dorekirst

» After Effects Plugins
 Geomorphology I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 8:02 am by dorekirst

» After Effects Plugins
 Geomorphology I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 9:39 pm by dorekirst

» Adobe. Photoshop CS5.9 Extended Edition
 Geomorphology I_icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 7:12 pm by dorekirst

Top posters
chickengold92 (294)
 Geomorphology I_vote_lcap Geomorphology I_voting_bar Geomorphology I_vote_rcap 
Lulkan (282)
kosovohp (162)
dorekirst (157)
Falcon (128)
Skylark (106)
Wyvern (57)
Aenys Valeryo (40)
lunamoonfang (39)
moonlight172 (37)
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 42 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:19 am

Geomorphology

Go down 
AuthorMessage
chickengold92
Tribe Hero

Geomorphology Empty
PostSubject: Geomorphology    Geomorphology I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 12:01 am

Geomorphology (from Greek: γῆ, ge, "earth"; μορφή, morfé, "form"; and λόγος, logos, "study") is the scientific study of landforms and the processes that shape them, and more broadly, the evolution of processes controlling the topography of any planet. Geomorphologists seek to understand why landscapes look the way they do, to understand landform history and dynamics, and to predict future changes through a combination of field observation, physical experiment, and numerical modeling. Geomorphology is practiced within geography, geology, geodesy, engineering geology, archaeology, and geotechnical engineering, and this broad base of interest contributes to a wide variety of research styles and interests within the field.

The form of the Earth's surface evolves in response to a combination of natural and anthropogenic processes, and responds to the balance between processes that add material and those that remove it. Such processes may act across very many lengthscales and timescales. On the broadest scales, the landscape is built up through tectonic uplift and volcanism. Denudation occurs by erosion and mass wasting, which produces sediment that is transported and deposited elsewhere within the landscape or off the coast.[1] On progressively smaller scales, similar ideas apply, where individual landforms evolve in response to the balance of additive (tectonic or sedimentary) and subtractive (erosive) processes. Modern geomorphology can be thought of as the study of the divergence of flux of material on a planetary surface, and as such is closely allied with sedimentology, which can equally be seen as the convergence of that flux.

Geomorphic processes are influenced by tectonics, climate, ecology, and human activity, and equally, many of these drivers can be affected by the ongoing evolution of the Earth's surface, for example, via isostasy or orographic precipitation. Many geomorphologists are particularly interested in the potential for feedbacks between climate and tectonics mediated by geomorphic processes.[2]

Practical applications of geomorphology include hazard assessment including landslide prediction and mitigation, river control and restoration, and coastal protection.

share accommodation
Video Game Review
Back to top Go down

Geomorphology
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Elemental Island :: Off-Topic :: Mystery Island-
Jump to: